Sunday, April 4, 2010

Serious Riding

Yesterday was a glorious day in and around Boston. Perfect for a ride, which I needed, because I hadn't ridden more than 8 miles or so since sometime in February. With the brevet series coming up, I am starting to get a little concerned that I won't be prepared. I have to get serious about this.

My friend Dan and I set out on a 40 miler through Concord, Carlisle, and Acton. Specifically, we did the "Concord/Carlisle Farm Tour" - ride # 4 of 5 in the Farm Tours Pocket Rides set.

Here is Dan.


Here is a farm.


As I said, it was an absolutely gorgeous day, so of course the roads were packed with other cyclists. The western suburbs of Boston are extremely popular amongst the spandex shorts set.

When I ride, I like to acknowledge cyclists coming in the other direction with a nod, hello, wave, whatever. Generally, those riders more inclined to ride carbon fiber bikes and wear wrap around sunglasses don't respond back. That's fine, and let me state that I have no problems with carbon bikes or Oakley shades. Although I am not into the "racing" style of riding, I'm a big tent kind of guy and anyone who rides a bike is OK by me. (I have to admit that calling myself a "big tent kind of guy" is a new thing - it's a nice phrase, and it also makes me giggle a little bit.)

The non-responders seem to be on serious rides -- eyes straight ahead, stern facial expressions, in the zone, which is fine too. We all ride differently and for different reasons. But I wonder if they are enjoying themselves. Is it fun? On such a gorgeous day, how could one not be happy to be out on their bike?

I have to be serious if I ever want to ride PBP. It will be a long and hard process to attain that goal. But, if this pursuit ever ceases to be enjoyable, it's done.

2 comments:

  1. I don't understand the 'I wont wave' riders, and I'm one of those on the carbon bike with the bad-ass shades. I wave to everyone and get little in return. The competitive cyclists just aren't friendly for some reason. It motivates me to ride that musch faster at time time trials. I think a little smack-down may soften them up a bit.

    Sounds like you had a great ride yesterday. Maybe we'll have an all-Wimberg ride someday. I have to think riding from Cincinati to the east coast would be fun if we had a tailwind.

    We had a pretty nice day here yesterday also. Started out in the mid 50's and sunny, then got cloudy with 50 mph winds, then got sunny again. I did about 5.5 hours solo and enjoyed every minute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Waving to another cyclist from across the road is a good thing. I wave, or nod, or generally give some tiny gesture of acknowledgement because I think that cyclists are a rare site compared to cars. We should stick together.

    ReplyDelete